Professor Wendy Seltzer, email email@example.com, 718.780.7961
Monday 6:00 - 7:50P and Wednesday(2) 8:00 - 9:50P, room 605
PDF schedule, with dates
SyllabusWebsite: < http://wendy.seltzer.org/brooklaw/07privacy/>.
The website and online syllabus are the authoritative source of course information.
Wiki: There is also a course wiki, http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/brooklaw/Information_Privacy
where you can add your own news, views, and questions (click the
"edit" link on any of the wiki pages). Interesting
news, examples, and questions you post might well end up part of a
Text: Solove, Rotenberg & Schwartz's
Information Privacy Law (2d ed., Aspen, 2006) (IPL).
Exam: The final exam will be an eight-hour take-home, available at any time during the examination period (April 30-May 10). It will be similar in format to last year's Information Privacy exam.
1. Introduction- IPL pp. 1-38 (Sidis v. FR Publishing; Warren & Brandeis, The Right to Privacy).
- Find and be prepared to discuss a recent event or news item that you feel raises information privacy concerns. How do you think the law should respond?
2. What is privacy? Why do we care?- IPL pp. 39-74, Philosophical perspectives on privacy
- Browse an online social networking or social media site (such as Friendster, Facebook, MySpace, Orkut, Flickr, or YouTube). Do activities on these sites might raise privacy concerns? Whose activities, and whose privacy?
3. Privacy and the media: Information Gathering and Disclosure of truthful information- IPL pp. 75-131
- Nader v. General Motors Corp.; Dietemann v. Time; Desnick v. American Broadcasting Co.; Shulman v. Group W. Prod'ns, Inc.; Galella v. Onassis; Gill v. Hearst Publ. Co.; Daily Times Democrat v. Graham; Miller v. Motorola, Inc.; Sipple v. Chronicle Publ. Co.
4. Media: Disclosure of truthful information (cont.), appropriation- IPL pp. 131-152: Cox Broadcasting Corp. v. Cohn; Florida Star v. B.J.F.
- IPL pp. 189-206: Carson v. Here's Johnny Portable Toilets, Inc.; Finger v. Omni Publications Int'l, Ltd.; Zacchini v. Scripps-Howard Broadcasting Co.
5. Media: Dissemination of false or misleading information; illegally obtained information- IPL pp. 159-188: N.Y. Times v. Sullivan; Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc.; Zeran v. America Online, Inc.; Blumenthal v. Drudge, Time Inc. v. Hill; Hustler Magazine v. Falwell
- IPL pp. 152-157, Bartnicki v. Vopper
6. Privacy and law enforcement: Fourth Amendment and responses to changing technology- IPL pp. 207-232: United States v. Olmstead; United States v. Lopez; United States v. Katz; White v. United States
7. Privacy and law enforcement: Reasonable expectations of privacy- IPL pp. 232-263: Smith v. Maryland; United States v. Place; Illinois v. Caballes; California v. Greenwood; Florida v. Riley; Dow Chemical v. United States; Kyllo v. United States
8. Federal surveillance law- IPL pp. 263-285, structure of federal surveillance law: Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA); Steve Jackson Games v. Secret Service
9. Federal surveillance law (2)- IPL pp. 285-300, structure of federal surveillance law, continued: CALEA, FISA, USA PATRIOT Act
- Doe v. Gonzales, 334 F. Supp. 2d 471 (S.D.N.Y. 2004) http://wendy.seltzer.org/brooklaw/infopriv/Doe_v_Gonzales.html
- In re Application for Pen Register and Trap/Trace Device with Cell Site Location Authority, H-05-557M S.D. Tex., Oct. 14, 2005 http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/USA_v_PenRegister/Cell-Site-Opinion.pdf
10. National security- IPL pp. 300-320: In re Sealed Case (FISA Court of Review)
11. Encryption and responses to it- IPL pp. 320-323; 339-345: United States v. Scarfo
- Bernstein v. United States Department of Justice, 176 F.3d 1132 (9th Cir. 1999)
12. Privacy of Association and Anonymity- IPL pp. 451-480, 490-498: NAACP v. Alabama; Barenblatt v. United States; Laird v. Tatum; Society of Friends v. Tate; Talley v. California; McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission; Watchtower Bible & Tract Soc'y v. Village of Stratton; Tattered Cover v. City of Thornton
13. Anonymity online- recall Zeran and Blumenthal v. Drudge
- IPL pp. 329-333; 481-490; 498-504: McVeigh v. Cohen; ACLU v. Miller; Columbia Ins. Co. v. SeesCandy.com; Doe v. 2TheMart.com; RIAA v. Verizon
- read one of Blogging anonymously from EFF, < http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Anonymity/blog-anonymously.php>, and Reporters Without Borders, < http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=15012> How easy is it to protect your anonymity securely online?
14. Privacy and commerce- IPL pp. 623-649, collecting information
- Dwyer v. American Express; Remsburg v. Docusearch
- IPL pp. 649-673, regulating information use
- In re Pharmatrak; Dyer v. Northwest Airlines; Chance v. Avenue A; Dirkes v. Borough of Runnemede
15. Online privacy- IPL pp. 739-765
- In re Northwest Airlines; In re GeoCities; In re Toysmart.com
-Browse the TRUSTe website, < http://www.truste.org/>
- Jeri Clausing, Privacy Watchdog Declines to Pursue Microsoft, a Backer, N.Y. Times, March 22, 1999, < http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/03/cyber/articles/23privacy.html>
- Joseph Reagle and Lorrie Faith Cranor, The Platform for Privacy Preferences, < http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-P3P-CACM/>
16. Data breaches, notification, and identity theft- IPL pp. 696-700 and supplemental materials online
17. Health and medical privacy : Confidentiality in tort and statute- IPL pp. 345-394
- Jaffee v. Redmod; McCormick v. England; Hammonds v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co.; Tarasoff v. Regents; McIntosh v. Milano; Northwestern Memorial Hospital v. Ashcroft
18. Health and medical privacy: Constitutional issues; genetic privacy.- IPL pp. 394-450
- Whalen v. Roe; Carter v. Broadlawns Medical Center; Doe v. Borough of Barrington; Doe v. Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority; Anonymous Fireman v. City of Willoughby; Ferguson v. City of Charleston; Moore v. Regents; United States v. Kincade
19. International privacy regimes; cross-border data flows- IPL pp. 871-878; 900-922; 936-948
- EU Privacy Directive; U.S. Safe harbor; Durant v. Financial Services Authority; Criminal Proceedings against Bodil Lindqvist
There will be no class the week of April 23. Study well!
Last updated: 4/19/07